We are no longer taking applications for the 2012-2014 High School Outdoor Leadership internship. Check back in 2014!
- Explore natural areas around Milwaukee while building outdoor adventure and leadership skills.
- Make a difference by becoming a mentor to local school children.
- Seek adventure while exploring the ecology of Northern Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula and beyond.
- Gain job experience and learn about careers in the environmental field.
Your two year adventure starts this summer!
The Urban Ecology Center High School Outdoor Leadership program is a unique, two-year paid internship that will help you build a wide range of skills including leadership, mentoring, rock climbing & kayaking, scientific research, public speaking, and much more. High School Outdoor Leaders are a fun, diverse, dynamic group who will have opportunities to meet new friends and get paid for working outdoors.
- First we will train you and then you will get paid to get outside! Work outdoors helping with summer camps, outdoor urban adventures (e.g. canoeing, rock climbing, etc.), field research, land stewardship and more. Work hard & have fun!
- Go on a trip each summer! In 2012 we went on a week-long trip and field study in Northern Wisconsin and in the Porcupine Mtns. in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. In 2013 we visited the Teteon Science School and Yellowstone National Park!
- Invite your family and friends! Share your experience with the Outdoor Leader Program in a public, group presentation.
- Work with us all year! Your internship will continue into the school year with a paid internship at the Urban Ecology Center.
- Make an investment! Invest in training that will lead to two years of job security at the Urban Ecology Center.
Thank you to our sponsor BMO Harris Bank for sponsorship of the 2013 High School Outdoor Leader trip to the Teton Science School and Yellowstone National Park!
Want to know more?
Teens -- Check out this brochure and letter outlining the program
Parents, guidance counselors, teachers or youth group leaders -- Check out this letter and brochure that describes the program in depth.
Erick Anderson - Washington Park
Jamie Ferschinger - Riverside Park