Join the Urban Ecology Center and borrow our equipment for free!
Instead of buying or renting outdoor recreational equipment, why not borrow it from us? As part of your membership benefit package, we loan out our canoes, kayaks, bikes, camping equipment, lawn sports, snowshoes, cross-country skis, sleds and gardening tools for FREE. This Equipment Lending Program is a benefit exclusively available to members of the Urban Ecology Center. You're not a member of the Urban Ecology Center? Then join today! Click here to become a member.
What can I borrow?
Click here for a complete list of equipment available to borrow at each of our three branches:
For more information, tips, and resources about specific types of equipment, please select one of the options on the list to the right.
We offer this unique and exceptional benefit to our members for three main reasons:
We want to get you outside!
We love helping people have positive outdoor experiences and don't mind at all if your experience starts by borrowing our equipment.
We hear the landfills are just filled with old snowshoes and gardening tools.
As a way to limit consumption, we provide our equipment lending program to encourage the use of shared resources in our community.
We don't have sugar.
Remember when you had to borrow a cup of sugar (or milk, or doughnuts) from your neighbor? Well, just substitute "kayak" for "cup of sugar." We're really just trying to be a good neighbor. A neighbor who shares lots of stuff.
How does it work?
- Become a member. All of our members can borrow equipment at any of our three branch locations.
- Bring your credit card, driver's license and a $5 cash security deposit to the reception desk at the Urban Ecology Center
- Pick out the equipment you want to borrow, fill out our lending form/waiver and enjoy for up to three days!
When can I borrow equipment?
You can come in to borrow or return equipment during our public hours at each of our three branch locations. Please make sure to come in at least a half an hour before we close to give us enough time to process the loan!
Urban Ecology Center Equipment Lending Guidelines
- Borrower must be member of Urban Ecology Center and 18 years of age or older.
- Borrower must have credit card, driver's license and $5 cash waiver deposit to insure proper and timely return of equipment or tools.
- Loan periods are a maximum of 3 days.
- Borrower must sign a waiver indicating they are capable of using equipment in safe and proper manner and assuming responsibility for any lost or damaged items.
- Equipment must be returned during open hours and checked in by staff or a receptionist. Deposit will be returned if there is no damage found and equipment is returned on or before return date. Late returns may be subject to a $5/day late fee.