Imagine a child growing up surrounded by buildings and concrete, never spending time outdoors. Many urban youth never get to explore nature, don’t get to enjoy outdoor activities like sledding or canoeing, and struggle with science lessons because they have no experience with plants, animals and natural systems.
Now picture that child on a field trip to a neighborhood park, fascinated by the trees, birds, and beauty of a natural area that he or she never knew was so close to home. At the Urban Ecology Center that is what we do everyday; we take urban youth to natural areas and give them fun, hands-on learning experiences that are proven to aid in development and math and science retention.
Your donations make a difference to kids, the land, and our communities.
The support we receive from donors helps us continue the important work of teaching urban youth about science and nature through outdoor experiences. Donations also support our efforts to restore native plants and wildlife habitats and build environmentally conscious communities.
Here are just a few of the ways your donation can make a difference:
- $35 provides a membership for a low income family
- $75 provides an educational program for families
- $195 provides a summer camp scholarship
- $600 supports a high school summer intern
- $1000 restores native plants to an acre of public land
- $5000 sponsors a partnering school for a year -- 24 field trips for city kids!